Thursday 25 August 2011

Over a Century Old Dish that smells like a thousand Cups of Teas and a thousand Cakes

IF YOU HAVE COME TO THIS BLOG TO SEE THE INBETWEENERS FULL DANCE!  THEN PLEASE SCROLL DOWN A FEW STORIES AND YOU WILL FIND IT

I was just trolling around the small town of Skegness, looking around some charity shops looking for really fascinating items to research.
I love finding the mysteries behind the stories of times gone by,
So back to my story.
I  saw this large raised plate!on the shelf and was drawn towards it like a magical force was aiding me,
I had a strange overwhelming sensation.
My minds imagination went wild as i felt all the cakes that have rested on this plate.
I could smell a thousand fruit cakes and happy moments.
I asked the lady in the shop if she could smell the cakes.
She looked at me as if i were a loony and said no.
 Anyway a few moments later i met up with my Mum and Dad for a Coffee
and asked them if they could smell lots of cakes from the dish.
They both said no!looking at me strange!
Is it just me! or is this plate Haunted or something.
I had a real strong feeling that this plate is mind boggerlingly old and felt i had to buy it.
Here is the plate/dish i got:
The Gem C. C & co / Cockson & Chetwyn markings
The Gem C. C & co / Cockson & Chetwyn
In 1866 the making of china was discontinued and the manufacture of white graniteware for the American trade was substituted. The mark is the royal arms and the name IMPERIAL IRONSTONE CHINS, COCKSON & CHETWYND or COCKSON & SEDDON or BIRKS BROTHERS & SEDDON, who continued to 1888.
Charles Thomas Cockson

Regency Ironstone mark
Regency Ironstone ware
Strange as this may be,  my Neighbor has this pottery (Pictured above) that he asked me to research for him only yesterday.  And after reading that information about the companies changing to Regency Iron Stone i thought to myself i am sure i seen that mark somewhere not long ago! and then i rememeber that it was on these items here.   What a small world this is when My item and my friends item becomes part of the story around this Cockson & Chetwyn pottery also known as  C. C & co for the oldest works and Regency Iron Stone being what they are nown today.
Please follow my blog and keep an eye on my finds and my research.


Extended History Bellow 

COCKSON, Charles Thomas (1838-1900), pottery manufacturer, Cobridge.
Charles Thomas Cockson was born May 31, 1838 in Alrewas, Yoxall, Staffordshire, U.K.
In the 1851 census  Charles Thomas Cockson, 13 years of age was listed as a china painter as occupation.  His father William was listed as a potter. 
Charles Thomas Cockson worked as a china painter in Cobridge and Liverpool before emigrating to the U.S.A in 1870 with his wife and two oldest children. He worked the Globe Pottery in Cobridge along with his father.
He was given title to a homestead in Polk County, Nebraska in 1880. While enroute to visit family, he caught pneumonia and died in London on June 5, 1900 where he lies in St. Pancras cemetery.
He and Lucy had one daughter and four sons. In 1865 his first child was born in Liverpool, England. 
Charles Thomas Cockson
Charles Thomas Cockson

Watercolor painting done by Charles Cockson done on school type ruled tablet paper. 
 What can't be seen in the small picture is the exquisite detail of the china painter's hand on things like the tail feathers on the ducks and the swan in the lower right hand corner.


1 comment:

eJoi said...

Could u tell me about this particular item.the blue floral pitcher in the picture. The one on the left

Haunted Robot

Here is some Skegnews from the past, About a haunted robot called Rovio. The report below is unedited but was written 5 years ago. A few...